Monday, January 12, 2009

"And here is the clitoris..."

So today was definitely the most interesting day yet. We set out at 7:15am for the conference room at the Kigali Health Institute which is about a 10 minute walk directly uphill. They have an amazing supply of anatomical models there which turned out to be extremely helpful for my presentation today on normal female anatomy. In the end there are 18 participants in our training program - 15 Rwandan nurses and 3 Rwandan doctors who will ultimately be involved in the research study. We started off the day doing a demonstration on proper technique for universal precautions and infection control. That was followed up by my presentation after lunch. Needless to say I found it quite amusing that I was presenting the intricacies of female anatomy to a bunch of women that I thought would certainly have more intimate knowledge of the subject than I... It turned out to be a great interactive session (minus some translation issues) and I think we answered a lot of questions for everyone. That was followed up by my demonstrating a pelvic exam including speculum and bimanual on one of the anatomic models. I think overall it went really well and the participants got really involved. Here are some pictures for you all to enjoy!

Now that you've all laughed at me sufficiently... Time for our word(s) of the day.

Witwa nde? (What is your name?)
Nitwa Lukas. (My name is Lukas.)

Goodnight all!

2 comments:

  1. No comment... But I do enjoy seeing pictures of you. Your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying your blog. You look very professional with your shirt and tie! I am sure you must have lovely temperatures as you mentioned, here we are in a deep freeze! Brr!
    Big Hug.
    F.G.

    ReplyDelete