Thursday, January 8, 2009

Women's Equity in Access to Care and Treatment (WE-ACTx)

So I thought I'd give you all a little intro into the organization I'm volunteering for... A little excerpt from www.we-actx.org

WE-ACTx is an international community-based initiative that was launched in fall 2003 by frontline AIDS physicians, activists and researchers with extensive experience in caring and advocating for HIV-positive women. Our primary goal is to increase women’s and children’s access to HIV testing, care, treatment, support, education and training in resource-limited settings at the grassroots level. We are committed to helping survivors of genocidal rape and sexual violence. WE-ACTx began working in Rwanda in early 2004 to provide HIV care to genocide rape survivors, in active partnership with the Rwandan government and five local NGO partners. We focus on empowering HIV-postive women and girls to take charge of their lives and become leaders in the fight against AIDS.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lukas,
    I love your blog! I am glad and relieved to hear you arrived well and are settling in. I could not believe the photo with the little monkey on your head! Is it a pet?
    Love you always!
    Your Fairy Godmother

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that picture was taken in Ecuador but I figured it was appropriate for my current trip as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally found the way back in. I hope you will still have time to do the blog. It's a great instrument.

    ReplyDelete