Monday, January 26, 2009

Jesus apparently can't heal Staph aureus toxin poisoning...

1/25/09

So after a day full of internetting and a chicken salad sandwich (more to come on this) at Bourbon Coffee we came home last night and watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button on the LCD projector... Kathy's friend is a member of the Academy so she had one of the screening DVDs. About 2 hours in I started getting crazy stomach cramps and by about 2am I was making regular trips to the bathroom. I got complaints that my descriptions of my Ecuadorian bathroom escapades were too detailed so I'll just say that damned chicken salad has been coming out both ends for about 24 hours now. My own fault for eating something with mayo in it I suppose but oh well - live and learn. At least we have a flush toilet and I'm not on an island in the middle of lake Titicaca! I was particularly annoyed though because Bourbon is a very expensive restaurant and I made a conscious effort not to order the hamburger for fear of food poisoning and yet I still got sick! Anyway I made use of the oral rehydration salts Aron gave me and by the end of the day today I have stopped going to the bathroom. Another update tomorrow - off to bed for me now.

1/26/09

I fell asleep last night at 7pm and woke up this morning at 8am - slept through the whole night which was nice after getting about 30mins of cumulative sleep on Saturday night. Everyone in the house has been really sweet and I did not go to work today so I just stayed in bed napping and reading all day. I'm finally finishing up the book I've been reading forever (We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families) which is an account of the aftermath of the Rwandan Genocide. It's a little weird to be reading it while in Kigali since I often think of who was living in our house at that time and what their experience must have been like. Add to that the eerie and disturbing soundtrack of Joseph cutting the grass out back with a Machete and it was a little too much to handle. Why we don't have hand powered push lawn mower I do not know but I had to put the book down.
I had a granola bar for lunch and Mary bought me some Ramen noodles for dinner so it seems that I'm on the mend since both of those stayed down. I'm now back at Bourbon Coffee (the site of the food poisoning but also the only reliable source of internet in all of Kigali). Needless to say I won't be eating here but I was feeling well enough finally to get out of the house for a bit. I fully intend to tell Titina tomorrow that Jesus isn't quite the healer she thought he was... The car Jon rented for the week has a window sticker that says "Thanks Jesus." My thought on seeing that this morning and thinking of Titina was "Yeah, thanks for nothing!" I guess it's my fault for not taking him into my heart.
Internet is still down and I don't want to give any more of my money to Bourbon so it may be a few days until I post again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, I do hope you are feeling better! Where will you eat? Shall I put some saltine crackers in the care package? It goes out tomorrow, Wednesday...
    I love you!
    Mama

    ReplyDelete